Lunar New Year 2018: Events! Events! Events!
The Lunar New Year is right around the corner, which means we’ll soon be bringing you lots of fun events, performances, and activities at both our TriBeCa and Chelsea Market locations. Not only that! All events are free and open to the public.Lunar New Year Extravaganza (Chelsea Market)
Friday, Feb. 16, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Celebrate New Year's Day with cultural performances from the New York Chinese Cultural Center, a traditional lion dance, and happy hour!
- Ribbon Dance (3:30–3:45) — A beautiful and ancient art performed during times of celebration in China.
- Chinese Yo-Yo Performance (3:45–4:00) — Part juggling, part acrobatics, and part dance, a performance that will surely wow people of all ages.
- Lion Dance (4:00–4:30) — The piece de resistance of any Lunar New Year celebration. The renowned Wan Chi Ming lion dance troupe will rock the market with their festive drumming and acrobatics.
- Happy Hour (5–6:30) — Join us for bites by Very Fresh Noodles, drinks sponsored by Tsingtao, and of course shopping!
Saturday, Feb. 17, 1 to 3 p.m.
Acclaimed artist (and former Pearl River artist-in-residence) Kam Mak will be on hand to sign his Lunar New Year postage stamps and other collectibles.Art Exhibition Opening, Chinese Paper Cutting Performance, and Lion Dance (TriBeCa)
Sunday, Feb. 18, 1:00 to 4:30 p.m.
The Year of the Dog celebrations continue at our flagship store in TriBeCa.
- Xin Song Art Exhibition Opening (1–3) — Meet multimedia artist Xin Song and learn about the ancient Chinese art of paper cutting.
- Chinese Paper Cutting Performance (3–4) — Watch Xin take the ancient art of Chinese paper cutting to a new level. As part of her exhibition at our TriBeCa gallery, she'll create on-site one of her beautiful and intricate paper cut sculptures.
- Lion Dance (4:00–4:30) — The Wan Chi Ming lion dance troupe struts their stuff, bringing luck and fun to downtown Manhattan.
Saturday, Feb. 24, 1 to 4 p.m.
- Tea Tasting (1–3) — Sample some exquisite, single estate tea from the Silver Needle Tea Company, a tea purveyor in NYC.
- Magic and Puppet Show (3–4) — Be dazzled by Grace “GeGe” Chang, internationally acclaimed magician, puppeteer, and storyteller. The performer and writer was the ringmaster and star illusionist the Chinese equivalent of Cirque du Soleil.
Again, please note all events are free and open to the public. Can't wait to see you!