Lunar New Year 2020: Our Line-Up of Events Is Here!
The Year of the Rat is right around the corner! To ring in this resourceful rodent, we'll be hosting a whole line-up of events. Check them out!
OPENING OF ‘A CHINATOWN ODYSSEY’ (TRIBECA) — SATURDAY, JAN. 18, 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Get the Lunar New Year party started early by joining us for the opening reception of our next art exhibition. From graphic novel artist Jerry Ma, A CHINATOWN ODYSSEY is a modern retelling of the classic Chinese tale of the Monkey King and his cronies as they journey through 1980s Manhattan Chinatown.
LUNAR NEW YEAR DAY BONUS TIME (ALL LOCATIONS) — SATURDAY, JAN. 25
Celebrate the arrival of the Rat year with a 15% discount and special gift at our TriBeCa, Chelsea Market, and Museum of Chinese in America locations.
LUNAR NEW YEAR EXTRAVAGANZA, PART I (TRIBECA) — SATURDAY, JAN. 25
- Lucky Foods Tasting (1:00–5:00) Try some tasty Lunar New Year treats and learn why they’re lucky.
- Dumpling Making Demo and Tasting (1:00–3:00) See how to make the luckiest of Lunar New Year foods. Brought to you by Christine Wong, certified health coach and cookbook author.
- Dim Sum Tasting & Happy Hour (3:30–5:00) Join us for bites by Jing Fong, drinks by Brooklyn Crafted and Hokkaido Brewing, and shopping by us!
- Lantern Procession (4:00–4:30) See ThinkChinatown’s mobile lantern art piece as they finish in our TriBeCa gallery.
LUNAR NEW YEAR EXTRAVAGANZA, PART II (CHELSEA MARKET) — SUNDAY, JAN. 26
- Ribbon Dance (3:00–3:30) A beautiful and ancient art performed by Chinese dance specialist, Ling Tang.
- Gordon & Li Li Celebrate Lunar New Year (3:30–4:15) Michelle Wong McSween will be on hand to read from her new book, Gordon & Li Li Celebrate Chinese New Year, sign books, and lead an arts and crafts workshop.
- Lion Dance (4:30–5:00) The piece de resistance of any Lunar New Year celebration. The renowned Wan Chi Ming lion dance troupe will rock the market with their festive drumming and acrobatics.
- Dumpling Tasting & Happy Hour (5:00–6:00) Join us for bites by Mao’s Bao, drinks by Brooklyn Crafted and Hokkaido Brewing, and shopping by us!
LUNAR NEW YEAR FAMILY FESTIVAL (MUSEUM OF CHINESE IN AMERICA) — SATURDAY, FEB. 1, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m.
We’ll be celebrating with our MOCA family at their annual Lunar New Year Family Festival! Enjoy zodiac arts and crafts, lively dance performances, festive snacks, and timeless tales inspired by Chinese and Chinese American New Year’s traditions. Also be sure to check out the MOCA Shop by Pearl River!
Be sure to check back here as we add more details!