Rice Cakes with Po Wing Hong Mushrooms
It’s the 13th day of the Lunar New Year, which means it’s time for some detoxing after almost two weeks of enjoying rich foods. Something vegetarian is a good bet, like this rice cake dish made with Po Wing Hong mushrooms (which you can get at Pearl River Mart Foods). Here’s the recipe!
- 1 lb rice cakes
- 8 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1/4 dried woodear mushrooms
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups (4 oz) bok choy or Chinese broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp mushroom oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- Soak the rice cakes in warm water for 15 minutes and drain.
- Place the mushrooms in a small bowl and pour in boiling water. Cover with a plate and soak for 20 minutes, until soft.
- When ready, cut off any tough stems and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Preheat a wok or frying pan on medium-high heat, add the oil, and saute the garlic and scallions for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the Chinese vegetable, sliced mushrooms, and Shaoxing wine, tossing to mix.
- Place the rice cakes on top of this mixture, and add the water. Cover to let this steam for 3 to 5 minutes.
- When the water has evaporated, add the mushroom oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, and white pepper. Toss to evenly coat everything, and serve hot.