While you can put Bessou's miso marinade on just about anything (think of it as Japanese ketchup), why not try something new — like these vegan Tofish (or "fish" made from tofu) Patties?
- 8 oz medium-firm tofu
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp Bessou miso marinade
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 sheet of nori, cut into quarters
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil, for frying
Wrap the tofu in a clean dish cloth and place in a shallow pan or tray. Place a heavy pot on top for 30 minutes to press out excess liquid. Make sure the pot is balanced properly and won’t tip over.
- Crumble the tofu into a small food processor and add the flour, Bessou miso paste, ginger, salt, and sugar. Pulse a couple of times until the mixture is combined, but still lumpy.
- Form into 4 patties about the size of a piece of seaweed.
- Brush the tofu patty with sesame oil and lay the seaweed on top.
- Heat a medium frying pan on medium-high heat. After one minute, add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, gently place the patties tofu-side down into the pan.
- Sear for 2 minutes until golden, then flip over and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve hot.
You can get Bessou's miso marinade, furikake, rayo chili oil, and Papa's Black Garlic at Pearl River Mart Foods, via our Mercato store, and our website. Enjoy!