Masala Smashed Potatoes with Cilantro Garlic Yogurt Sauce
Made with Tasting India's Vadouvan and Everything But the Chaat masalas, this recipe is adapted from one in Mumbai Modern: Vegetarian Recipes Inspired by Indian Roots and California Cuisine by Amisha Gurbani.
Cilantro Garlic Yogurt Sauce ingredients
- 8 oz plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tsp salt
Masala Smashed Potatoes ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1½ pounds baby red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 cup neutral oil
- 1 Tbsp Tasting India's Vadouvan Masala
- 1 tsp (2 g) Tasting India's Everything But the Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Make the Cilantro Garlic Yogurt Sauce by blending all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Boil the potatoes with a teaspoon of salt in a medium pot for 20 minutes, until they can be pierced easily with a fork. Drain and let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Coat a baking tray with 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil. In a small bowl, combine the two masalas and garlic powder with the remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Flatten each potato slightly with a flat-bottomed measuring cup or glass. Brush the potatoes with the remaining oil and sprinkle the spice mixture over the potatoes on both sides. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning them once.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving plate and serve with the yogurt sauce and fresh cilantro.