Lunar New Year 2023 in Review: Life-Sized Sculptures, Lucky Foods, Lion Dancing, and More!
Happy Year of the Rabbit! We were so happy to ring in the Lunar New Year with friends, family, fans, and customers again this year. From events to products to press mentions, we had fun every hop of the way. Here's a look back!
Art exhibition opening with Warren King
We kicked off the season early with the opening reception of the incredible exhibition, OUR ROOTS RUN DEEP: Finding Home in Chinatown, by Warren King. Made only of cardboard and glue, his life-sized sculpture depict seemingly ordinary people in an extraordinary way. On view through April 23.
Lunar New Year Day lion dancing at SoHo
After the annual Lunar New Year's Eve dinner hosted by Pearl River founders Mr. and Mrs. Chen, we lauded the first official day of the rabbit year with a raucous performance from longtime partners, the Wan Chi Ming Lion Dragon team.
Talking all things Lunar New Year with Cindy Hsu
It's been a few years since we were last in the CBS studios with friend and legendary news anchor, Cindy Hsu, so returning this year was extra special! Many thanks also to NY1's In Focus and CGTN's Global Business for hosting our own Joanne Kwong.
Lions, lucky foods, and libations at Chelsea Market
Our annual Lunar New Year extravaganza at Chelsea Market was as fun and festive as ever. In addition to Wan Chi Ming, this year featured the return of ribbon dancer Ling Tang and the debut of calligraphy demonstrations from Unlocked Chinese.
The menu included a slew of new food and beverage partners — Dickson's, Mokbar, Ayada, Jing Fong, Short Tang and Sons, Lady Wong, and Saigon Social — as well as those tried and true (Mao's Bao, Kimbap Lab, Tea and Milk, and Lunar Hard Seltzer). Thanks to all who participated and enjoyed the treats and performances with us!
Lunar New Year goodies
What kind of Lunar New Year would it be without gifts and goodies? Of course we had our trusty Lunar New Year Friendship Box (updated with rabbit items naturally). We also launched a new Lucky Foods Carryout Box with togetherness tray, the second annual Pearl River Mart Foods Chili Box, The Woks of Life x Pearl River Mart Pantry Essentials Box, a slew of unique lucky red envelopes, and many a cute bunny product.
Super Saturday lion dancing at at SoHo
We were honored to be the final stop on Wan Chi Ming's Super Saturday performance rounds on this penultimate day of the 15-day Lunar New Year celebration. A highlight was Mr. Chen swinging around the personalized flag the lion troupe made for us. A million thanks!
Much appreciation to all the publications and websites that profiled Pearl River and our products! Like these deep dives on Lunar New Year traditions:
- CNN: How Asian Americans are keeping Lunar New Year traditions alive
- CNN Opinion: Why Vannesa Hua is embracing a daily pair of red underwear this year
- Hunker: How 5 Home, Food, and Drink Tastemakers Are Celebrating Lunar New Year in 2023
- Gotham Mag: How To Celebrate Lunar New Year In New York City
- Thrillist: The Best Stuff to Do for Free in NYC This Winter
- 6sqft: Lunar New Year 2023: Where to ring in the Year of the Rabbit in NYC
And gift roundups:
- Year of the Rabbit Friendship Box: The New York Times, The Strategist, Hollywood Reporter, E! Online, Cosmo, Town & Country, LA Times, and Vice
- The Pearl River Mart Foods Chili Box: Daily Beast and Elle
- Lucky Foods Carryout Box and Togetherness Tray: Business Insider and Brit+Co
- Various fun Lunar New Year items: Entertainment Weekly, New York Post, CNN, and House Beautiful
Thanks again!Keep up with all our art exhibitions, events, and new products by following us on Instagram and subscribing to our newsletter. From our family to yours, happy Year of the Rabbit!